Sandro Chia was born in Florence on April 20, 1946, and studied at the Academy of Fine Arts in the Tuscan capital. In 1970, he settled in Rome and set up his first solo exhibition in 1971 at La salita gallery. A few years later, he joined the Transavanguardia collective and participated with the other artists of the group in the "Aperto 80" section of the 1980 Venice Biennale, later mounting a solo exhibition in New York. After about a decade spent in Rome, he decided to move to New York itself, where he remained for about twenty years while still continuing to move regularly between the United States and Italy. He returned again to the Venice Biennale in 1984 and 1989, The artist still lives today between Miami, Rome, and Tuscany, more precisely in the Castello Romitorio in Montalcino. The Italian state acquired three of his works in 2003, which became part of the permanent collection of the Senate of the Italian Republic in Palazzo Madama, while in 2005 the Province of Rome purchased two monumental sculptures that were placed in front of its headquarters in Rome.